Friday, August 6, 2010

Our Garden!

This spring we decided that we would try our hand with gardening! We own an acre and a half... so we have plenty of room for one. On Memorial Day we spent 10 hours prepping our garden and planting! It was a nightmare! The kids thought it was a blast to put the seeds in. We planted corn, green beans, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, pumpkins, tomatoes, watermelon, and cantoloupe! It is very time consuming to have a garden! Weeding and watering takes forever! At first, I spent most of my days off weeding... but now I am sad to admit that the weeds have won this battle.

Having a garden has taught me a lot about patience (which I am still working on). We have had problems with mice in our garden... which means problems with Luna in our garden trying to get the mice (which means she has dug up most of our peas). The wind has knocked down most of our corn... and the grasshoppers... oh the grasshoppers. I have so much respect for the pioneers. At least I know that if my garden does not make it, I can just go to the store. They did not have this option... if their gardens died, it meant they didn't have food! Even though it is a pain to have a garden, I am so grateful that we have had one this year. It is so fun going out there and picking fresh vegetables!

Here are some pictures of our garden and some extras from this summer!












This is some of our fresh loot... this is just one picking... we still have a lot of green beans to pick!

No comments:

Post a Comment